30 April, 2013

Adventure Time with Fionna and Cake #1-4

Hello everyone, I recently got myself the first four issues of the Fionna and Cake comic mini-series, written and drawn by Natasha Allegri, the creator of Fionna and Cake. Since there's no new episode this week, I'll take the time to review the comics.


Not being a regular comic fan, and with all the mixed reviews of previous AT comics, I was quite sceptical before giving this comic a try. That's why I waited four months, but being a huge fan of the gender-bent universe (as we all are, aren't we?), I decided that I should give it a chance.

First thing I noticed, characters are a bit different than their non-gender-bent counterparts. We knew that from the Fionna and Cake episodes, but it's even more obvious here. Ice Queen is ruthless and extremely evil, freezing little fire cubs for no apparent reason. Flame Prince seems good, rather than evil like the Flame Princess (even though there's quite a discussion if she is, in fact, evil. I think that she is). Also, the backstories of characters are different. Flame Prince is a feral boy who was never kept locked in a lantern and everyone can touch him safely. Fionna is a bit more timid than Finn and Cake seems outright crazy at times, just like a cat should look.

Marshall Lee, being a huge favourite with lots of fangirls, seemed nothing like the Marshall Lee we know from "Bad Little Boy". He seems a bit clueless and confused. I guess it's because the fanfiction in "Bad Little Boy" was written by Marceline, who on purpose made him look more badass than Ice King makes him look in this one. Another parallel with this, Prince Gumball looks much less uptight than in Marceline's fanfiction. It is also shown that he's a baker, rather than a scientist. However, his baking seems to have the same effects as PB's experiments.

Spoiler warning: Similarly to the "What was Missing" episode, issue #3 has an implication of a possible romantic relationship between Marshall Lee and Prince Gumball. Or, that's how it seems at first, but then it turns out it was just your and Cake's dirty imagination. :) However, it's done in a completely opposite way than in the TV show - PG and ML get along pretty well and even have a "boys' night" without Fionna. End of spoiler.

The plot is a little bit chaotic and jumps all around the place from issue to issue. It may look better if you read them with some time apart, but since I read all four in less then 15 minutes, that's the impression I got. Despite this, it is far from boring. It may not be as awesome as original Fionna and Cake episodes, but I got a few good laughs and they kept me decently entertained. The biggest downside is, in my opinion, that they are way too short. As I said, It took me about 3-4 minutes for each issue, but, in the comic's defence, I am a really fast reader.

Each issue has a guest comic at the end, but I found them to be far less interesting.

Issue #4 features Lumpy Space Prince in his own adventure. If you are an LSP fan, you are going to love it. I'm not going to go in too many details, I'll just say that it reminded me to the "Loyalty to the King" episode. Also, the cover looks a lot like the cover of "The Great Getsby".



So, is this comic mini-series worth your time and money? I'd as it is. It is funny and entertaining and allows us more insight into the Fionna and Cake world. I'd give it a 7/10 and recommend you to read it. You can order your copies from Amazon by clicking on this link.

Thanks for reading and stay mathematical, my friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment